|Date:||17th and 18th May 2012, 10:00 to 18:00|
|Location:||17th May: Bolivar Hall, 54 Grafton Way, London WC1.
18th May: Large Common Room, Goodenough College, Mecklenburgh Square, London WC1N.
Transdisciplinary Problematics: Anti-Humanism and Gender Studies
This two-day workshop will examine the notion of a transdisciplinary problematic, via the cases of anti-humanism and gender studies. The first day will approach theoretical anti-humanism from the standpoint of its destructive effect upon disciplinary fields in the humanities and as a radical problematisation of the discipline of philosophy in particular. The second day will focus on gender studies as a transdisciplinary problematic and on the transdisciplinary nature of the concept of gender itself. Topics will include the historical reconstruction of ‘gender’ as a boundary-crossing concept; the relation of its conceptual content to its functioning as a general concept across disciplines; the transformation of the disciplines in the humanities by ‘gender’ and gender studies; and the current productivity of ‘gender’.
Day 1: Anti-humanism
- Introduction: Peter Osborne & Eric Alliez (CRMEP, Kingston University)
- Etienne Balibar (Philosophy, University of Paris X/Irvine)
- Respondent: Patrice Maniglier (University of Essex)
- Nina Power (Philosophy, Roehampton University/Royal College of Art)
- David Cunningham (English, University of Westminster)
- Respondent: Simon Morgan Wortham (English, Kingston University)
- Introduction: Stella Sandford (CRMEP, Kingston University)
- Tuija Pulkkinen (Women’s Studies, University of Helsinki)
- Sara Heinamaa (Philosophy, University of Helsinki)
- Elsa Dorlin (Politcal Science, University of Paris VIII)
- Ken Corbett (Psychotherapy & Psychoanalysis, New York University)
- Respondent: Lynne Segal (Psychosocial Studies, Birkbeck, London)
Day 2: Gender Studies
The event is free, but registration is essential @: http://workshopthree.eventbrite.com/
Further information and background texts, go to: http://fass.kingston.ac.uk/activities/item.php?updatenum=1962